Instagram

Tuesday 1 October 2013

falling, yes I am falling

So admission time. I have never been a fan of the Beatles. Just hold on a minute ok, perhaps I should re-phrase! I have never known enough of or about the Beatles to even know whether or not I like them, and admittedly, I have never been that curious. I mean, sure, I know the classics like All you need is Love and I wanna hold your hand, however the association those songs have with the Beatles for me is slim. All you need is love reminds me of Christmas due to my favourite seasonal movie, Love Actually, and well, I wanna hold your hand always makes me think of Kurt from Glee. But what can I say, recently I have been lending my ear towards them and I am suddenly understanding their renown.

I am not going to pretend that I have started listening to them out of a pious desire to educate myself musically.  No.  Over the course of this year I have fallen for a boy who is pretty much obsessed with them and like in most relationships you can’t help but absorb some parts/likes/tastes of your significant other.   While I have shown him the beauty of earl grey tea he has shown me the beauty of the Beatles.  Clearly both of mutual benefit right?

While the classics like I mentioned above are actually magical and breathtaking, I mean All you need is love is actually just a fantastic heart warming affirming song but also, I have found they have this plethora of songs and lyrics and melodies and sounds that I utterly appreciate.  Yeah I know this is not news to a lot of you, but just bear with my slow realisation.

I mean, ok, this slow realisation and my sudden enjoyment for this band whom I have always ignored has perhaps only been ignited due to my ardent interest in a particular boy (perhaps entirely because the moment I knew I loved him was during a viewing of Across the Universe) BUT a slow realisation is better than none hey? 

Their songs, while seemingly simple, are quite complex and often things they do remind me of musicians and music that I idolise today.  For example, I was listening to a song the other night (unfortunately I have NO idea which song it was), but at the end it had this random calamity of noise and it actually completely reminded me of Sufjan Steven’s ‘All Delighted People’.  Now Sufjan is one of my favs, like I loooove that man, and it was surprising to me that I could find familiarity between the Beatles and him.  Now clearly Sufjan and the Beatles are not similar artists, but I could certainly find aspects of their musicality that I love that seemed to remind me of the other.

I think perhaps it surprised me because, lacking in knowledge as I am, I’ve never seen the Beatles as particularly edgy and I think I like music that is slightly edgy; interesting and different.  I know musically they were supposedly “innovative” but to me they’ve always seemed like a regular pop band, like a 60’s version of the Backstreet Boys.  While their music alone can defeat that belief, I have to say after my recent viewing of the Beatles movie A Hard Day’s Night my boy band pop persona idea has irrevocably changed.  The movie is so Fucking weird, they are out there as shit.  Pardon my language!  I can’t fathom a massive popular band releasing a movie remotely similar in nature.  I can’t imagine something like that could succeed.  It is impressive that they could.

I honestly have no idea how all of this is relevant to anything, or why I feel the need to share this.  Perhaps I feel I must confess my sins of ignorance or perhaps I am just excited about this discovery.  Maybe it is nothing more than something to share on a Tuesday afternoon.    


Now seeing as I’m still a total Beatles newb and have a lot to learn and listen to I am wondering if you all could let me know your absolute FAVOURITE Beatles number.  So far, my two most favourite of their songs (that I have listened to) are “I’ve Just seen a face” and “Good Night”.  If you don’t know those ones you should definitely listen to them.  You should listen to Good Night right before sleep, it is the PERFECT lullaby.  Yeah.  There ain’t nothing wrong with being 29 and wanting a lullaby.  

No comments:

Post a Comment